Friday, June 20, 2008

I can remember, it just takes longer



Growing old is mind over matter, that's what they say. Well, let's see....I'm getting older. My mind is going; and everything that matters is falling down or falling out. LOL
But growing old does have advantages. A good example is my new found ability to be invisible. Yes, try it, I promise you that you too have it if you are over sixty. Just like the Super Heroes in the comics.
Another advantage to growing old is that day you discover that you do not really give a rat's hind end what anyone thinks of you. Sweet!

Sometimes when I walk in a room, I forget why I am there and that bothers me,,until I remember, the same thing happened to me at twenty or thirty. I have a great memory for the printed word, which helped tremendously in school but I can't and never could, remember where I put my sunglasses. I have spent half my life looking for them. I leave them in stores, in the car, at other peoples houses. So when I forget something,,I just try and remember (no pun intended) that I have had this problem all my life.

Another up side I have discovered, is the ability to watch re-runs and since I can't remember them, they are all new to me. See, it's all good. The other advantage to aging is that people don't ask you to do stuff that they used to ask you to do. They assume a low level of competence and figure that, whatever it is that needs doing, you won't be able to do it. I won't tell if you don't!

3 comments:

Eve said...

One of the definetions of "peak" is....The point of greatest development, value, or intensity:
I just don't feel I have reached that yet!...so I am still waiting for my first "peak"...LOL

CurtissAnn said...

Oh, Eve, I laughed out loud-- nodding like crazy-- and then had to read your piece to hubby. So true for me-- I have always had difficulty with memory, was just talking about this inherited trait to my mother.

And how wonderful not to worry so much anymore what anyone thinks!

You are a fine and moving writer! Thank you.

joco said...

Just in case anybody having this forgetfulness problem worries that they might be going senile: this is the wonderful explanation a friend gave:
If you can't remember where you put the electric kettle, not to worry, as long as you know what to do with it, once you find it.