Friday, July 25, 2008

I LOVE LIBRARIES

Painting by JOHN SINGER SARGENT



A library is a collection of information, sources, resources, and services: it is organized for use and maintained by a public body, an institution, or a private individual. In the more traditional sense, a library is a collection of books.

Okay, that is the definition in general. But if you love libraries the way I do, it is so much more than that. A library is a place you go to relax. To browse and find your creative senses set in motion when you look through the art or craft books. A desire to travel set aflame when you find that book on a country you have always wanted to visit. An urge to get out the pots and pans and cook something great when you glance through the cookbook section.

Then you go down the mystery row and find a couple of those, you just can't wait to read when you have time. And of course, a couple of new decorating books to look through, because our homes are always in transition or at least mine is. I remember the year it was all about Sunflowers and country. Your taste do change so you change your nest. There is the latest self improvement book and the latest fiction everyone is raving about. I probably won't read them all, but I check them out in the hope that I can find the time. I have my own book bag with a deep bottom and wide handle because I know, I will check out at least six when I go.

One of the sad things about Hurricane Katrina was losing my beautiful library overlooking the Gulf. It had large windows and you could sit at a table in super comfortable chairs and look out over the water. I did more dreaming than reading while sitting there. I will always miss it. We will have a new one, but it won't look out over the water and it wont be the place, I spent so many happy days.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Walking into a bookstore or a library I am filled with a sense of excitement and anticipation. I can so relate to this post.

smilnsigh said...

Oh I'm so sorry that you lost what must have been a gem of a library. Windows looking out over the water, etc. Oh sigh....

Miss Mari-Nanci
Smilnsigh
Photos-City-Mine
When Twilight Embraces

Morning Glories in Round Rock said...

I just love libraries too. I love the smell of them, and the feel when you are walking up the steps in anticipation of an hour or two spent just on you--where you can travel anywhere in the world--and beyond. All without even leaving the confines of that brick building. It's been awhile since I have been--thanks for the reminder of what I am missing.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Hi Eve, I enjoyed reading this...and what a beautiful painting you posted at the beginning...I really love that.

The library with the water view that Katrina blew away sounds so perfect...and I am sorry about that loss in your life because I can understand just what that meant to you.

Dreams and Decor said...

I love books, so I can identify! I have such fond memories of going to the library when I was a little girl! And I can totally lose myself in a good book! I'm so sorry that you lost your wonderful library! Patti