Saturday, August 16, 2008

WHO WERE FAITH, HOPE AND CHARITY?


We are remembering Hurricane Camille of 1969, here on the Coast today.
The early-morning event will be at the Gulfport grave site of Faith, Hope and Charity, three unidentified storm victims buried in Pine Ridge Gardens.

Faith, Hope and Charity are the center of the Gulfport service. Since their 1969 burial, the staff of Civil Defense has overseen a memorial service for the three women found in Pass Christian.

"These are three lost souls with no identifying marks, and in 39 years nobody has claimed them,"

We lost 172 people during that 1969 Hurricane and soon we will be taking note of the three year mark for Hurricane Katrina on August 29. I know these are important milestones and we need to remember them. But somehow, I just keep thinking about those three women who no one claimed.

That is such a sad though to me. No one to mark your passing but strangers. Why did no one realize these women were missing? Where were their Mothers, their Fathers, their sons, their daughters? Did they not have sisters or brothers looking for them. Have we become so scattered in this country, that family doesn't even know when one goes missing? If I could, I would tell them, I cried for your passing and I am still sad and think about you each year. So, here's to Faith, Hope and Charity, who no one claimed. May you rest in peace.

6 comments:

Nola said...

What a moving story! I remember Camille, my uncle lived on the coast, in a little travel trailer, but he hitched it up and came inland to stay with us. A few years earlier, he chose to stay through a hurricane; it was Carla, and she taught him a lesson. From that point on, he came to stay with us if anything got close to the coast. He's gone now, but I still think of him today, everytime a storm hits the Glaveston area.

Nola said...

What a moving story! I remember Camille, my uncle lived on the coast, in a little travel trailer, but he hitched it up and came inland to stay with us. A few years earlier, he chose to stay through a hurricane; it was Carla, and she taught him a lesson. From that point on, he came to stay with us if anything got close to the coast. He's gone now, but I still think of him today, everytime a storm hits the Glaveston area.

CurtissAnn said...

The scattering of family is sad. Our family has quite a number of people in it that simply up and left. I was brought up far from the nucleus of family; the trait seems to perpetuate itself. Today I know that I can change some of that by keeping in touch with others.

How lovely that the memorial is for those three women. Not everyone has forgotten them, or the preciousness of life.

Morning Glories in Round Rock said...

I enjoyed your story very much, Eve. What a lovely thing to have a special memorial for them. I hope this doesn't sound "preachy", but remember that there is Someone who knows their names, and that's all that matters!

Melissa said...

It is sad - it is a like their lives became a blank slate. Morning glories is right but we won't know for along time and it is sad that there was no notice here.

theigh said...

click to read x9y04f6o14 best replica bags online replica bags high quality replica bags bangkok gucci replica f4o63w7s77 replica bags and watches check my blog r9n46b0c53 louis vuitton replica replica bags wholesale in divisoria