Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I GET BY WITH A LITTLE HELP

Beautiful painting called "Friendship" by Lucy Liu


I remember when Billy's Dad had to give up his driver's license after it became a fact, he was really sick and unable to drive. It was like part of him had been taken away. Our independence is so important to us. I felt that way too when my independence was threatened. I had a long sickness, and needed help with things and it was hard to accept help. But gracious acceptance is as important as helping others. We give others a chance to feel needed and when you get down to it, that is one of the most important feeling for all of us. We want to feel needed, to feel our place in this world is deserved. That we are not just taking up space.

Being dependant on others is not how we see our lives going, but it is something we all worry about. The thing we have to keep in mind, is God meant us to share the good and the bad with each other. To help one another in times of need. There is no greater gift you can give a friend than to be there for them without them having to ask. And to accept their gift of love to you if you should ever need to lean on them

Remember always to make the people around you feel needed. They want to help out and be a part of what you are doing. When you satisfy this desire in people, you are not a burden, you are fulfilling a need they have as well as your own.

5 comments:

Nola said...

Your comment today brought me to tears. Thank you for such a heartfelt, honest post. I am a full time caregiver; my 91 year young father came to live with me when my mother died in Feb 2007. Needless to say, it has been quite an adjustment for both of us. It has been a reversal of roles for each of us; your post has shed some new light onto our situation. Maybe now, I can appreciate my Dad's situation a little better. I have often felt that it has been harder on him to accept help than it has been for me to give help. Thanks for the post!

Melissa said...

But gracious acceptance is as important as helping others. Remember always to make the people around you feel needed. They want to help out and be a part of what you are doing. When you satisfy this desire in people, you are not a burden, you are fulfilling a need they have as well as your own.

Yes

smilnsigh said...

We want to feel needed... Ahhh yes.

And to have to accept dependence, so hard.

But wonderful advise, to keep people feeling they are still important. Perhaps even, to remind them of all they have done in the past... And how much it has helped us...

Hugs,
Miss Mari-Nanci
Dans l'esprit d'une grand-mère
Smilnsigh

Irish Cottage Dreams said...

Your post has perfect timing for
me today...I have been having a
hard time accepting peoples help.
" I can do it myself" I say but
in fact it all can become to much.
Your post has helped me understand
that the giving and receiving has
benefits for both people :)

hugs~kimme

Renie Burghardt said...

Funny, I have been thinking of the same thing recently. I was always very independent, and still am, thank the Lord, but 3 years ago I fell and broke my hip, and was totally dependent on others for some time. That was so very hard on for me. But, I recovered well, and can go on living independently, with a little help from my grown children, and dear friends. But as I get older, I know things are likely to change, one day. And I can accept it. The memories of the good times will never change.

Love the painting, by the way.

Blessings,

Renie